The Smithsonian Gardens main office will be closed on Monday, September 7th in observance of Labor Day.
Volunteer Continuing Education Session – Tuesday, September 29 from 10 am to 12 pm
Mark your calendar for the next Smithsonian Gardens volunteer continuing education session. We’ll meet in the Room 3035 of the Ripley Center for a tour and discussion of Smithsonian Gardens’ new interior exhibit, “Design for Small Spaces,” with designer Alex Thompson. After the tour we’ll talk about what’s going on out in the gardens and take a look at how our Community of Gardens project is growing. If you can join us, please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reminder to Enter hours for August
Please remember to enter your August volunteer hours in EVANS if you have not done so already. If you have trouble entering your hours you can also email them to email@example.com for entry.
Food in the Garden –September 17
Come enjoy a fascinating look at the past, present, and future of edible garden design at the September 17th Food in the Garden event. This ticketed, evening event is part of the summertime food history series brought to you by the National American Museum of American History and Smithsonian Gardens. All events are located outside in the Victory Garden. Click here for more info and to purchase tickets.
Let’s Talk Gardens! – Lunchtime Series in the Haupt Garden Extended through October
Great news! We’re continuing the Let’s Talk Gardens series into the fall season. Next week’s discussion wil lbe on backyard honey bee basics. Stay tuned for more information on dates and topics. In the meantime, mark your calendars for next week’s program on Thursday, September 10 from 12:15 pm to 12:45 pm in the Haupt Garden. http://gardens.si.edu/whats-happening/program-lets-talk-gardens-web-flyer.pdf
New Smithsonian Directive on Standards of Conduct Regarding Smithsonian Volunteers (SD-208)
The Smithsonian has issued a revised policy describing the standards of conduct that applies to all Smithsonian volunteers and to Smithsonian employees when working with volunteers. Click here to read Smithsonian Directive (SD) 208: Standards of Conduct Regarding Smithsonian Volunteers. The revision gives individual volunteer programs latitude to develop additional written policies. Smithsonian Gardens plans to release revised policies for its volunteer program this winter.
- September 10 – Let’s Talk Gardens!– 12:15 to 12:45 pm in the Haupt Garden – Backyard Honey Bees
- September 17 – Let’s Talk Gardens!– 12:15 to 12:45 pm in the Haupt Garden – Topic TBD
- September 17 – Food in the Garden – How Does Your Garden Grow (Ticketed event) – 6-8 pm in the Victory Garden
- September 29 – Smithsonian Gardens Volunteer Continuing Education Meeting 10 am to 12 pm
- October 1 – Let’s Talk Gardens!– 12:15 to 12:45 pm in the Haupt Garden – Topic TBD
- October 8 – Let’s Talk Gardens!– 12:15 to 12:45 pm in the Haupt Garden – Topic TBD
- October 15 – Let’s Talk Gardens!– 12:15 to 12:45 pm in the Haupt Garden – Topic TBD
- October 22 – Let’s Talk Gardens!– 12:15 to 12:45 pm in the Haupt Garden – Topic TBD
- October 24 – SIDE Workshop at the NPG 9:00 am to 11:30 am
- October 29 – Let’s Talk Gardens!– 12:15 to 12:45 pm in the Haupt Garden – Topic TBD
- Ongoing – Free Smithsonian Gardens tours. For dates and times see http://gardens.si.edu/plan-your-visit/garden-tours.html